Brooksdale WI Plaque - Youngsville
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This plaque was erected by the Brooksdale Women's Institute in 1984 as part of the Ontario Bicentennial Project.
In 1839 Gabriel Youngs came from New York State and purchased 1000 acres of land surrounding these crossroads. The Great Western Hotel, built on this site before 1850, served settlers travelling from Beachville to Stratford. This being the central point of the township, the West Zorra Counci lmet here from 1850 to 1911. A post office was located in the hotel from 1874 to 1902. A blacksmith shop, carriage works and dwellings were located here; in 1866 a school was built. The hotel and the school were demolished in the 1960's.
1984 Ontario Bicentennial Project
Erected by Brooksdale Women's Institute
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2009 Longitude: -80.92483
- Creative Commons licence
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario (FWIO)
- For commercial use, please contact copyright holder for permission and details.
- Reproduction Notes
- Contact the holder of the original
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontariofwio@fwio.on.ca
552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6