Goshen WI Cairn Commemorating Goshen Community
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Images, Electronic
- This cairn is situated at the corner of Goshen and Yantha Roads near Renfrew. It reads as follows:
This plaque commemorates the 70th anniversary of Goshen Women's Institute - 1914-1984
With grateful memories to all its members past and present as well as much gratitude to a once thriving farming community of Goshen which revolved around a country store with a post office named "Carswell," a Goshen Hall serving church affairs and social demands, a Goshen railway station on the CNR Ottawa to Parry Sound, two schools called the Russel school in Horton Township and Goshen school in McNab Township.
This cairn constructed on a corner property is donated by Barclay and Maudie Stewart, son of Andrew and Jean Stewart - "store owners" and in loving memory of Ruby and John E. Miller pivots of much community inspiration and guidance from the former "store home."
Goshen Women's Institute commend our sturdy pioneers for the calibre of their "citizenry" within Goshen community.
Committee - Edna Dewar, Mary Seeley, Amelia Yantha
- Date of Publication:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario
552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6