Thornloe WI Tweedsmuir Community History, Volume 1
- Tweedsmuir Community History Collections (Stoney Creek, ON),  - 
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- 'Foreword" written by Lady Tweedsmuir
Curators - Eliza Miller, Allie Ross, Bernice Bowman
Institute Branch History - Thornloe
- Wabi Valley
- Whitewood Groce
Thornloe & Area General History
-Area Roads (Cavalcade to Toronto 1927)
-Timbering & Sawmills
-Stores,Early Mail Service,Steamboats
-Sports & Misc.
The Townships - Harley
- Twp. Reeves & Northern Development Branch
- Hilliard (1910 Voter's List)
Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway
Early French Canadian Settlers
The Great Fire of 1922
Other Fire Stories
-Where the North Begins
-Inception of Musical Festival & First Program, June 3, 1932
-Thornloe Pioneer Cemetery
Pioneer Family Histories
-Cragg (Irene & Nora Doupe)
-Miller (James Anthony)
Voter's List 1910, Twp. of Hilliard
90th Birthday - Joseph C. Chartrand
Various Newspaper Articles
- Cover by Henry Hamelin, Earlton
Our Original idea for a typical Northern Ontario cover was to make use of birch bark, but it was later thought not to be durable enough.
Then our thoughts turned to birch veneer, which we decided to use.
Henry Hamelin, Jr. of Earlton made and very kindly donated the wooden cover.
The painting of the cover was done by the well-known Northern Artist, Muriel Newton-White, who used original pictures for her design.
The train depicts No. 47, the over-night train from Toronto, described as "The train which takes us home," and at upper left, Neely's saw mill.
The tent illustrates the 4'x7' tent which housed the five members of the Foster family for the first summer, when they came in the year 1903.
The log house in the left hand corner was the home of W.E. Kerr of Whitewood Grove and the log building on the right was used to house the workmen while building the Temiskaming and Norther Ontario Railway, and was later used by the family of Fred Love as their first home in Thornloe.
Miss Newton-White also donated her work on the cover.
We, Thornloe Women's Institute dedicate this Tweedsmuir History -
To the memory of Mrs. Thos. Miller, our first Curator, and to Mrs. Robert Ross, Curator, who began compiling this book, and to her daughter, Kathleen (Mrs. Foster Rice) who typed, assisted in sorting and attending to other details of this work, and to all those pioneers of Thornloe Area whose lives and works are recorded here and to many who may not be listed.
Bernice Bowman, Curator
- Federated Women’s Institutes of Ontario
-  - 
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder:
- Federated Women’s Institutes of Ontario (FWIO)
- Location of Original:
- Englehart Museum
- For commercial use, please contact copyright holder for permission and details.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Contact the holder of the original. If the book is in a member’s home, please contact the copyright holder.
Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario
552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6