Samuel de Champlain Monument
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- In 1947 Zion Line WI petitioned the Historical Sites and Monuments Board of Canada to have a marker established to indicate Samuel de Champlain's travels through the Ottawa Valley and the discovery of his astrolabe.
Local municipal participation enabled the erection of a cairn along Highway 17, just outside of Cobden at Logos Land resort.
This photo was taken in June 2013 when our members gathered to mark the 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain's travels through the community.
- Plaque reads:
"Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Nearby was found in 1867 by Edward George Lee an astrolabe bearing the date 1603. This instrument, used for determining latitude, is believed to have been lost by Champlain about 7th June, 1613, on his exploratory expedition up the Ottawa River.
Près d'ici, en 1867, Edward George Lee trouva un astrolabe portant le millésime 1603. Cet instrument, utilisé pour prendre les latitudes, aurait été perdu par Champlain aux environs du 7 juin 1613, dans son voyage d'exploration le long de L'Ottawa.
- Date of Publication:
- Jun 2013
- Personal Name(s):
- Samuel de Champlain
- Language of Item:
- English; French
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder Contact Information:
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario (FWIO)
- For commercial use, please contact copyright holder for permission and details.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Contact the holder of the original
Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario
552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6