Ontario Historic Site Plaque at Erland Lee (Museum) Home
- Media Type
- Item Type
- In 1967, the Lee family home (not yet a museum) was designated by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board. Erland and Janet’s daughter and daughter-in-law, Marjorie Lee and Katherine Lee respectively, were present at the unveiling of the sign, which was placed in front of the home at the edge of Ridge Road. The sign reads “First Women’s Institute 1897: The world’s first Women’s Institute was organized at Squire’s Hall, Stoney Creek, in 1897. Erland Lee, a founder of the Farmer’s Institute, assisted by his wife, arranged the meeting. About 100 women from the Saltfleet Township district attended and were persuaded by Mrs. Adelaide Hoodless to form an organization of their own to improve their skills in the arts of homemaking and child care. Here, in the Lee home, Mr. Lee subsequently helped to draft the constitution of the new society. Mrs. E.D. Smith of Winona became the first president of the “Mother Institute.” The Women’s Institutes movement has since become a world-wide organization.”
The photo was taken February 2016.
- Date of Publication
- Date Of Event
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.21681 Longitude: -79.76633
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario
552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6