Women's Institute 1897 Constitution, Bylaws, and First Minute Book, 1897-1900
- Erland Lee Museum, Creator
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Minute books
- This document consists of the 1897 Women's Institute Consitution and Bylaws and the first Meeting Minutes for meetings between 1897 and 1900.
The Women's Institute Constitution was hand-penned by Janet Lee, wife of Erland, in the dining room of their Saltfleet (now Stoney Creek) home, which is now the Erland Lee (Museum) Home.
Janet Lee penned this document with the assistance of her husband, Erland, as well as E.D. Smith (whose wife, Christina Armstrong Smith, was the first President of the Women's Institute), and Major F.M. Carpenter (whose wife, Catharine, was a Charter Member). The Constitution was written in response to the first Women's Institute meeting, held on February 19th, 1897. At this meeting, Adelaide Hoodless spoke to 100 women about creating an education society for women. The Constitution was ratified by the women at the next meeting, on February 25, 1897. This remarkably simple and effective constitution remains largely intact even now, over a century later.
The Women's Institute Constitution, Bylaws, and first Meeting Minutes are incredibly significant because the Women's Institutes were the first group to represent the concerns of rural women in government, and for most of the 20th century, the WI was the principal voice of rural women in Canadian government.
- Erland Lee Museum
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder:
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario (FWIO)
- Location of Original:
- Erland Lee (Museum) Home
- For commercial use, please contact copyright holder for permission and details
- Reproduction Notes:
- Contact the holder of the original.
Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario
552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6