Amherst Island Tweedsmuir History, Volume 5 F2 2006-10
- Tweedsmuir Community History Collections (Stoney Creek, ON), 2006-2010
- Amherst Island Women's Institute, Creator
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Amherst Island Tweedsmuir Community History, Volume 5, F2, Part 2 of 5
Amherst Island near Kingston, Ontario is a community of over four hundred comprised mostly of farmers and retirees from "away," often Toronto or Ottawa. The Island is a component of Loyalist Township for municipal organization purposes, and is located in Lennox & Addington County. It has hourly car ferry service with the mainland at Millhaven, allowing some island residents to commute to work on the mainland. As of this writing, June 2016, there are five completed Tweedsmuir volumes in the collection. Volume 5 was completed in 2010 and covers the period 2006-2010, with a few exceptions.
It contains a section on WI Branch achievements and activities and those of the District AI. Also the Neilson Museum Artists' Tour, history of the Amherst Island Ferry and related issues of 2007 and the possibility of a Wind Project on the island.
Also covered: RBC Bank Branch on the island, Amherst Island Fall Fair, the Poplar Dell Farm, the Moutray Estate, and Long Point.
Among the family names mentioned: Bailey, Gibson, Glenn, Hieatt, Hitchins, Kidd, McDonald, McGinn, McKee, Morrow, Pringle, Radcliffe. There is also a group of obituaries.
- Amherst Island WI, 2006-2010
- 2009 Report on Stone Fences
- ROSE Buddies
- Amherst Island Men's Society, AIMS, All Candidates Meeting, 2007
- Neilson Store Museum
- Amherst Island Public School - Heritage Program
- CJAI, Amherst Island Radio Station
- Christmas Shopping, 2007
- "for Valor" drama
- Folk Festival at Lodge, 2009
- History of Ferry: Fare Increase, Captain Eldon Wullard retires, ownership of Ferry Docks
- Various Community Activities: Girl Guides, Ride & Stride, Cheese Making, A.I. Softball League, the Lodge
- Daniel Fowler
- Weasel and Easel
- Personalities: Will's Ride; Helen McCormick
- Kingston Field Naturalists
- Welbanks' House
- Owl Wooda and other birds - Janet Scott
- General Store
- Ground Water
- Loyalist Township
- Emergency Services
- Assorted History Items: Napanee Museum, William Mountray
- Irish Stone Walls
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.13342 Longitude: -76.71612
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario (FWIO)
- Location of Original
- Lennox & Addington Cty Museum & Archives
- For commercial use, please contact copyright holder for permission and details
- Reproduction Notes
- Contact the holder of the original. If the book is in a member's home, please contact the copyright holder.
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario
552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6