Stewartville WI Tweedsmuir Community History - Volume 1
- Tweedsmuir Community History Collections (Stoney Creek, ON), [ca. 1949]-[ca. 1975]
- Stewartville Women's Institute, Creator
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Volume 1 of 6
Stewartville, previously known as Balmer Island, is a hamlet situated in McNab Township in Renfrew County. It is on the shore of the Madawaska River and was part of the timber era. Some families mentioned are Arnott, Campbell, Coreau, Duff, Graham, Lavallee, McIntyre, McLean, McNab, Michelson, Mitchell, Neill, Nieman, Okum, Russett, Scheel, Schubrink, Slingerland, Smith, Stewart, Sutherland, Taylor, Watt, Wilson, and Wright.
These first two volumes contain information concerning the branch, its members, and its events, as well as the following:
- History of early settlement of Stewartville and McNab Township, including an 1838 petition to oust Laird McNab.
- History of schools, the Township Hall, and the Presbyterian church
- Lists of War Veterans, including photos of Edgar Stavenow and Harvey Smith
- History of farms in area.
- Building of Stewartville Power Generating Station
- Curators: Margaret Wright and Jessie Smith
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario (FWIO)
- [ca. 1949]-[ca. 1975]
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 45.41681 Longitude: -76.4994
- Location of Original
- Arnprior & McNab/Braeside Archives
- For commercial use, please contact copyright holder for permission and details
- Reproduction Notes
- Contact the holder of the original.
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario
552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6