Braeside WI Tweedsmuir Community History - Volume 3
- Tweedsmuir Community History Collections (Stoney Creek, ON), [ca. 1964]-[ca. 1978]
- Braeside Women's Institute, Creator
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Volume 3 of 4. Consists primarily of Braeside WI programs (1932-1982), newspaper clippings and photographs of community events in Braeside, and handwritten accounts of the history of Braeside.
Braeside (named for Scottish word for hill – “brae”) is situated on the Ottawa River, up-river (west) from Arnprior, Ontario. All 4 volumes provide information on Braeside and the Braeside WI from the 1860’s - 1980’s. The Volume entitled “History of the Village” has a Table of Contents [page 3], although the numbering is slightly off.
Brief Summary of Contents:
1. History of settlement including maps, newspaper articles and hand written accounts.
2. History of Braeside WI, including community involvement, District & Provincial activities and celebrations, Sister WI (England) correspondence, etc.
3. Common surnames mentioned: Armstrong, Barker, Beattie, Brennan, Burton, Carmichael, Coleman, Davis, deRenzy, Ferguson, Findlay, Foster, Fulton, Gillies, Gilmour, Graham, Hamilton, Kirby, MacDiarmid, MacDonald, MacLean, McKinnon, McNab, Merrifield, Miller, Mullen, Neilson, Robertson, Russell, Sereney, Shaw, Steele, Usborne and others
4. Histories of businesses: Gillies Bros Ltd, Mills, Railroad, General Stores, Butcher Shops, Blacksmiths, Barber Shop, Restaurants, and others
5. Community: Churches, Schools, Recreation Association, Sports teams, Men in Active Service (WW I, WW II, Korean War), Orange Lodge, and others
6. Many excellent photos.
- Braeside Tweedsmuir Curator, 1959-1965: Mrs. Forrest Merrifield; Committee: Mrs. James Beattie and Mrs. Phil Armstrong
Note about the wooden cover, from p. 3, Volume 1:
"Braeside has only one industry, Gillies Bros. Lumber Mill.
Therefore, it was decided by the curator, Mrs. Forrest Merrifield and her committee, Mrs. Phil Armstrong and Mrs. James Beattie, that a cover of wood was the most appropriate for the village Tweedsmuir History."
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario (FWIO)
- [ca. 1964]-[ca. 1978]
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 45.46681 Longitude: -76.39939
- Location of Original
- Arnprior & McNab/Braeside Archives
- For commercial use, please contact copyright holder for permission and details
- Reproduction Notes
- Contact the holder of the original.
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario
552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6