Braeside Tweedsmuir Community History - Volume 2
- Tweedsmuir Community History Collections (Stoney Creek, ON), [ca. 1964]-[ca.1982]
- Braeside Women's Institute, Creator
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Volume 2 of 4, contains primarily essay contest entries by school children on the subjects of Sports Day and House History. This was a contest sponsored by the WI in 1964.
Braeside (named for Scottish word for hill – “brae”) is situated on the Ottawa River, up-river (west) from Arnprior, Ontario. All 4 volumes provide information on Braeside and the Braeside WI from the 1860’s - 1980’s
1. Common surnames mentioned: Armstrong, Barker, Beattie, Brennan, Burton, Carmichael, Coleman, Davis, deRenzy, Ferguson, Findlay, Foster, Fulton, Gillies, Gilmour, Graham, Hamilton, Kirby, MacDiarmid, MacDonald, MacLean, McKinnon, McNab, Merrifield, Miller, Mullen, Neilson, Robertson, Russell, Sereney, Shaw, Steele, Usborne and others
2. Histories of businesses: Gillies Bros Ltd, Mills, Railroad, General Stores, Butcher Shops, Blacksmiths, Barber Shop, Restaurants, and others
3. Community: Churches, Schools, Recreation Association, Sports teams, Men in Active Service (WW I, WW II, Korean War), Orange Lodge, and others
4. Many excellent photos.
- Braeside Tweedsmuir Curator, 1959-1965: Mrs. Forrest Merrifield; Committee: Mrs. James Beattie and Mrs. Phil Armstrong
Note about the cover, from p. 3, Volume 2:
"Braeside has only one industry, Gillies Bros. Lumber Mill.
Therefore, it was decided by the curator, Mrs. Forrest Merrifield and her committee, Mrs. Phil Armstrong and Mrs. James Beattie, that a cover of wood was the most appropriate for the village Tweedsmuir History."
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario (FWIO)
- [ca. 1964]-[ca.1982]
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 45.46681 Longitude: -76.39939
- Location of Original
- Arnprior & McNab/Braeside Archives
- For commercial use, please contact copyright holder for permission and details
- Reproduction Notes
- Contact the holder of the original.
- Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario
552 Ridge Road
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2Y6