Erland Lee Museum


Records
We found 8 matching items.
Subject:  Women's Institutes  Women's Institutes:  Erland Lee Museum   Sort by:  Relevance
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Women's Institute 1897 Constitution, Bylaws, and First Minute Book, 1897-1900 
Texts  1897-1900  This document consists of the 1897 Women's Institute Consitution and Bylaws and the first Meeting Minutes for meetings between 1897 and 1900. The Women's Institute Constitution was hand-penned by Janet Lee, wife of Erland, in the dining room of their Saltfleet (now Stoney Creek) home, which is...
Erland Lee House Log 
Texts  1974  This is a scrapbook-style history of the Lee house, including a genealogy of the Lee family. The book includes a history of each generation to reside in the home and details the process of transitioning the home into a museum.
Erland Centennial Celebrations, Volume 1 
Texts    This is a scrapbook that compiles all of the Centennial Celebrations that took place for the Centennial Anniversary of the Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario that took place in 1997. Each branch was invited to report on the celebratory events and programs and submit photographs of the...
Published Facts and Historical Events of the Women's Institute Volume 2 
Texts  Verna Rowena Conant, "Published Facts and Historical Events of the Women's Institute Volume 2," Tweedsmuir Community History Collections (Stoney Creek, ON: Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario), 1956  This is a scrapbook created by Verna Rowena Conant, daughter of Christina Smith, who was President of the first branch of the Women's Institute in Stoney Creek. This volume features articles both published and unpublished, booklets, programs, and other memorabilia, all pertaining to the early...
Published Facts and Historical Events of the Women's Institute Volume 1 
Texts  Verna Rowena Conant, "Published Facts and Historical Events of the Women's Institute Volume 1," Tweedsmuir Community History Collections (Stoney Creek, ON: Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario), 1956  This is a scrapbook created by Verna Rowena Conant, daughter of Christina Smith, who was President of the first branch of the Women's Institute in Stoney Creek. This volume features articles both published and unpublished, booklets, programs, and other memorabilia, all pertaining to the early...
Ontario Historic Plaque at Erland Lee (Museum) Home 
ImagesObjectsPlacesWas Contributed?    In 1967, the Lee family home (not yet a museum) was designated by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board. Erland and Janet's daughter and daughter-in-law, Marjorie Lee and Katherine Lee respectively, were present at the unveiling of the sign, which was placed in front of the home at...
National Historic Site Plaque at Erland Lee (Museum) Home 
ImagesObjectsPlacesWas Contributed?  2003  In 2003, the Erland Lee (Museum) Home was designated by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, and a plaque was placed by the sidewalk leading into the side porch of the Museum. The plaque reads "This 19th-century farmhouse is the birthplace of the Women's Institutes (WI), an...
1961 Stone Cairn and Plaque at the Erland Lee (Museum) Home 
ImagesObjectsPlacesWas Contributed?    This plaque, mounted on a stone cairn, was placed at the roadside in front of the Erland Lee (Museum) Home in 1961, while it was still a private residence. It reads "In memory of Erland Lee and his wife, Janet, who pioneered the first Women's Institute - now world-wide - at Stoney Creek, February...
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Erland Lee Museum
Comment on this item
Sort
Media Types
Years
1870s 1870187118721873187418751876187718781879
1880s1880188118821883188418851886188718881889
1890s 1890189118921893189418951896189718981899
1900s1900190119021903190419051906190719081909
1910s1910191119121913191419151916191719181919
1920s1920192119221923192419251926192719281929
1930s1930193119321933193419351936193719381939
1940s1940194119421943194419451946194719481949
1950s 1950195119521953195419551956195719581959
1960s 1960196119621963196419651966196719681969
1970s1970197119721973197419751976197719781979
1980s1980198119821983198419851986198719881989
1990s 1990199119921993199419951996199719981999
2000s 2000200120022003200420052006200720082009
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Subjects

Only the top 50 will appear here.

Item Types
Features
Groups
Creative Commons Rights
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Erland Lee Museum


The Erland Lee Museum, opened to the public in 1972, is a white and green Gothic Revival heritage house containing two floors of original furnishings, with an emphasis on the Lee family in Saltfleet Township and the events of the 1897 founding of the Women's Institute. The accompanying red Carriage House is an integral part of the Museum, containing two floors of exhibits on the history of the Stoney Creek area and on the Women's Institutes organization. James Lee brought his Loyalist family to Saltfleet Township, Upper Canada, in 1792. John Lee, eldes son of James and Hannah Lee, first constructed the Lee home in 1808 after receiving land from his wife's (Mary Moore) family. John and Mary's son, Abram Lee, became a prominent Saltfleet businessman and farmer in the 1860s, and made two additions to the original log cabin. The current home dates from the 1873 addition. Six generations of the Lee family lived in the home from 1808 until 1971. Erland Lee owned the house from 1890 to 1926. He was very involved within the community as an executive member of the Farmer's Institutes and as a Saltfleet Township Clerk for two decades. A liberal man, Erland worked to advance many progressive causes in Wentworth County. Recognizing the need for rural women to be educated, particularly in the area of domestic sciences, Erland Lee invited Adelaide Hoodless to speak at the Ladies' Night of the Saltfleet Farmer's Institute in February, 1897. Drawing upon the inspirational ideas of Mrs. Hoodless, and urged on by his wife, Janet (Chisholm) Lee, Erland Lee used his family's influence in municipal government and society to assist in the formation of the world's first rural women's organization, the Women's Institutes. In 1897, Janet Lee took on an organizational role in the Institute. She was Hamilton's first Kindergarten teacher and, like Erland, was also very strongly community-minded. The focal point of the Site's history is the dining room of the home where the Constitution and Bylaws of the first Women's Institute were hand-penned by Janet Lee, with assistance from Erland Lee and local politicians E.D. Smith and F.M. Carpenter. Much of the executive work of the first Women's Institute was done in the Lee home (Edgemont Farm), with assistance from E.D. Smith and his wife, Christina (Armstrong) Smith, who was the first President of the Women's Institute. Erland and Janet's daughter, Alice (Lee) Freel, became the first woman in Saltfleet Township to serve in the municipal government, starting in 1926 and serving for several years. Erland and Janet's grandchildren preserved the family legacy when they sold the property to the Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario (FWIO) in 1972. The Home and Carriage House were retained as an important memorial to the organization's beginnings. The Museum also preserves the social history of the former Saltfleet Township, including such smaller centres as Winona, Mount Albion, and Tapleytown, and commemorates the important influence of the Lee family on the area's development from wilderness to agricultural town to suburban city.